Seven Years Old....Already!! Trying on clothes for 2nd grade already!

Seven Years Old....Already!! Trying on clothes for 2nd grade already!
Follow us on YouTube by clicking the picture above!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Baby Girls Are In My Arms!!



Baby A on the left is Ally Rae

Baby B on the right is Baily Jae

(I know....one was supposed to be named Kiely, but that's a different story. You can read all about that at the end of my birth story if you are curious.)

My story began with going to the hospital on January 21st expecting to be induced around 8 a.m., instead I was informed at 9 a.m. that I had been scheduled for a c-section at 2 p.m. that afternoon. What?!! I started crying once the doctor began explaining the reason she and her colleagues came to that conclusion. Here's the factors that swayed them; risk of pre-eclampsia, group b strep, 2 vessel cord, 1 placenta, and my weight. With all these factors they didn't want to risk having to have an emergency c-section after delivering Baby A because the medication may not take affect as fast as they may need it to. I cried and cried. I didn't want a c-section, I was so afraid that was going to happen! That was my worse fear about delivering twins. By mid-day I realized that my worse fear was becoming a reality. I accepted my fate and started preparing myself mentally for what was to happen just a couple of hours away. At that time my nurse came in and told me I had been bumped to 4 p.m......what?!! Great more time to stew over this c-section. I was a little heartbroken that I was not going to be able to deliver my babies vaginally, but I realized it was for their safety along with my own.

By 4 p.m. I was prepped for surgery and administered a spinal. I lay on the operating table in anticipation of what was to come. My nerves were being calmed and I was feeling excitement over the fact that I would see my babies soon. The moment I heard Baby A cry, shortly after Baby B entered the world with a loud roaring cry. She was the bigger of the two, weighing in at 6 pounds 3 ounces and 18 and 3/4 inches long. Baby A weighed in at 5 pounds 10 ounces and 18 inches long. They didn't need any oxygen and were taken straight to NICU for all the testing that was needed. They needed to be warmed up, so they were under the heat lamps while tests were being run. It's taking Baby A a little longer to get her coloring than Baby B is. They were hardly wrinkled at all and of course they are beautiful.

I was so against having a c-section, I wanted to fight the doctors on that one, but I decided to let it go and trust that they knew what was best for all of us. I'm so grateful now that I had a c-section because unbeknownst to all of us, Baby A had the cord wrapped around her neck twice. I don't even want to think what could have happened had I insisted on trying to give birth vaginally. I know things work out for a reason, now I know what that reason was. I am so happy to have two healthy baby girls.

On the issue of one placenta, after about 30 weeks it was assumed the babies were mono/di so this was of deep concern for my doctors and OB. The babies were typed for blood and the placenta has been taken to the lab. When my OB came in to see me after the birth, he said they should have results on the placenta by my first appointment with him. So, we may know soon if they are identical or fraternal. One of the nurses that observed the c-section said they were definitely in two sacs, but that the placenta looked like it could be two. We shall see soon enough.

All in all the surgery went well, I'm tired though and it hurts to get up and walk, but I know I have to do it for my health. I've already lost at least 25 pounds since yesterday...imagine that!!

It looks like if all goes well, I will be able to go home this Saturday and my babies will be coming home with me. Yay!!

The next chapter of my life with twins has now begun. Let it be joyous!!

Name Story...
Everyone said Baby A should be Ally (because of the A). My brother said Baby B needs a B name and suggested Baily. One reason is that her Daddy was having a hard time pronouncing Kiely for some reason and didn't really like it that much anyway. I figured I should at least let him have one name since I came up with first and middle names and didn't want to budge on the names. The only thing is, Ally was a definite for me and Kiely was an okay. I had told him a few months ago that if he came up with a name that I liked also that I would consider using it. This morning I told him he could go ahead and choose between the name Kiely and Baily. Of course he went with Baily. My brother is his boss, but I don't think that had anything to do with his decision though. It sure made my brother's day, not only was he happy we chose the name Baily, but her middle name is Jae (which both of my brother's names begin with a J) but this brother's name is Jason and he's called Jay by some. In case you are wondering why I'm spelling Baby B's name Baily and not Bailey is because I wanted all my girls names to end in "ly", just a little FYI.

8 comments:

Angel Leigh said...

hiya

congrats :) well done. They are great weights too and look so cute. Hope you all are home very soon.

Interesting about the placenta etc. Did you know that 11% of identical twins have seperate placentas and seperate sacks. Also the only way to tell if they are identical or not is DNA?

Just something i picked up from the australian twin study where they are doing research on twins and are willing to do DNA tests for us in australia if we fill in their questionaires.

Very cute girls and i like the names too.

Angel

danamarie said...

Congratulations! They are absloutley adorable little girls! They were excellent weight for being premature too! Good luck with the csection recovery its hard but you can do it!!! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

beautiful girls! congratulations!

Twinsmom said...

Congratulations!!!! Thank God you had the c-section. One of my friends lost a baby at 38 weeks for that very reason.
They are beautiful girls! Keep in mind that your girls could still be identical regardless of what the hospital says. Though they check blood type and the placentas, they DO NOT do DNA tests. Our OB declared my guys fraternal because the hospital said so. When DNA tests proved they were identical, he learned that that hospital's declaration was based solely in the fact that the boys had separate placentas. He had assumed that the hospital had run DNA tests.
DNA tests are $170 through Proactivegenetics.com and completely noninvasive. All you do is swab the inside of your babies' cheeks. I'm betting identical. Keep us posted!

Dani Merced said...

Congratulations! So glad they are healthy!

Mommy Rader said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Great job, mama. I am sorry that your birth plans didn't happen the way you'd initally hoped but it sounds like you and the docs were right on! Glad your baby girls are healthy and their names are beautiful! So happy for you and your family. I wish you all the best on the remainder of your twin journey

Angel Leigh said...

Hiya

Your girls are so cute. I can't wait for mine to come. Thanks for leaving me comments i really appreciate it.

Glad to see that you are still around even though you must be extremly busy. Wow there 2 weeks already, man time has gone fast.

Time is going fast and slow for me, i think its because i'm impatient to see my little ones. Just over 4 days to go with 5 sleeps lol.

I'm still hoping i go into labour on my own rather than being induced. But i guess thats a waiting and seeing game.

Thanks again for the comments. and your girls are so very cute.

Angel

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm in tears reading this! Sorry it is a little belated, we have all been so sick since Christmas! They are precious! I am glad they were born healthy & that the section went off great! I didn't want a section with my twins. But, it happened anyway. Glad that my last baby was a VBAC! COngratulations! I can't wait to watch them develop! I can't wait to see your photo opportunities with two babies! I was too stressed to do it with my first two but Evan has been in the spotlight a lot more! Congrats again!

Lane Bryant

Lane Bryant 120x90