Seven Years Old....Already!! Trying on clothes for 2nd grade already!

Seven Years Old....Already!! Trying on clothes for 2nd grade already!
Follow us on YouTube by clicking the picture above!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Are They Really Identical?

Ally and Baily
(they really look different in this picture)

I was told by the Pathology Department where I gave birth to my twin daughters that they shared a placenta, therefore they are identical. As they age they seem to look different. Is it that I can easily tell them apart? Or is it because they aren't identical? Maybe they are fraternal. I'm beginning to wonder sometime. Their eyes are the same color, their hair is the same color, they both have a cow lick in the same place, their mouths are shaped the same, their noses look the same, but they look different from one another. Is it just me? Or are they fraternal after all? I still believe they are identical, but there are days when I wonder about it. I'm thinking it's just their weight difference that makes them look so different from one another. Ally weighs almost 2 pounds less than Baily. One would think that two pounds wouldn't make a big difference, but when your total weight is no more than twenty pounds, I guess it would be a big difference. I'm thinking when they start to get bigger and gain more weight they will appear to be more identical. I'm not complaining about this because after all, they are two separate individuals.

It's obvious that others can tell them apart because there are some who have said, "Baily's my favorite, she's so beautiful". It breaks my heart to hear that. I tell them, "Ally is just as beautiful, I don't know how you can pick favorites, I can't and I won't". I've told these people I don't want to hear them say such things in front of my children, but there are times when I still hear it. I know it's because Baily is the chunkier one and a lot of people say they love chunky babies, but please keep it to yourself when you're with my babies and if you're going to give attention to one, you need to give attention to the other also.

I feel so blessed to be a Mom of Twins! It's just so different when there are two babies. Sure it's tough at times, but it's wonderful most of the time. I had a woman say "wow, twins, double trouble!" and I responded with, "no twice the enjoyment!", she looked at me and said, "you're right". I know I was and I'm loving every minute of it. I know there will be times when they will give me trouble, but hopefully that won't be for some time, if at all. I'm looking ahead at the pre-teen and the teen years......there's where I may have some of that "double trouble" every refers to. I'm just afraid "double" will come from a "double" barrel shotgun and the "trouble" will come from "Daddy". That puts a whole new meaning to "double trouble"!! Our twins are four years younger than our oldest daughter, so it's going to feel like the teen years will go on forever!! Then again, maybe we will sail right through without any problems.....wishful thinking, I know!!

2 comments:

eatmisery said...

I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant with twins. They are girls, have separate placentas and separate sacs, but they could still be either identical or fraternal.

If you're really concerned, you can always send their DNA in for zygosity testing. That's what I intend on doing. Examination of the placentas is not a guarantee of zygosity; it's mostly a doctor's guess.

Good luck!

RoseCrew said...

I too have identical twins and I can always tell them apart. I also have not done DNA testing, but was told that I only had one placenta. I think your girls look identical, I certainly can't tell the difference. And if you saw a picture of my girls you'd probably say the same thing. It's just a mommy thing. I'm pretty sure they are identical.

Lane Bryant

Lane Bryant 120x90