Seven Years Old....Already!! Trying on clothes for 2nd grade already!

Seven Years Old....Already!! Trying on clothes for 2nd grade already!
Follow us on YouTube by clicking the picture above!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just Wondering???

I don't understand how some women are told they are having identical twins before they are born. I can't figure it out. I understand how twins are made and how fraternal twins have all their own everything and identical twins can also have all their own everything.
But, at what point can the doctor or sonographer say for sure the babies are identical???
I had my first sonogram at 10 weeks and all I could see was two babies next to each other. Also they had a thin wispy line (membrane) between them that was visible at times but not at all times. My second sonogram was at 12 weeks and the membrane wasn't very visible at all. Also there was no lambda sign, it looked like the membrane made the T sign. The sonographer said it looks like one placenta and 2 sacs and there's a possibility they are identical.
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?
I go to my OB this afternoon and I'm hoping we will find out the genders and if the doctor will be able to tell if they are identical or fraternal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend Terrie had identical twin girls 7 years ago and they were exactly like that. Just a thin whispy membrane between the two of them. She told Terrie that that membrane was what would prevent the TTTS from happening. Maybe you'll find some comfort in that. :) Mine are actually in two different sacs and appeared to be sort of far from eachother. I dunno, I'm no expert but I would say you've got a good possibility of having identicals.

Sorry to lurk, I saw your link on Baby Center and was curious as I'm having twins too! Good luck.

Dani Merced said...

I think that certain tests such as an amniocentesis can tell for certain if they are fraternal or identical. If they share a placenta and amniotic sac then they are for sure identical. Another way to tell is when they are born they will check their blood type. If they have different types, then they are fraternal. If they have the same types, there is still a chance they can be either and genetic comparison is recommended to be certain.

My girls are in separate sacs and have separate placentas, so we don't know for certain either until they are born. I'm jealous of twin parents who already know.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm pregnant with mo/di twins (monozygotic/diamniotic). You probably already have an answer to this question (and your kids are gorgeous!) but in case you didn't I think I can help.

"Identical" is really a rather misleading term. Of course due to TTTS there's a chance that monozygotic twins won't be "identical", but what the term identical is referring to is that mono twins share the same dna. As you explained earlier in a post for there to be identical twins 1 egg splits, creating 2 babies, which means their dna is exactly the same, hence, identical. :)

I was told at a 6 wk ultrasound that I am having identicals because there is one gest sac with 2 yolks and 2 fetal poles. Now, I can't be 100% sure that they will be diamniotic, but studies have shown that when there are 2 yolks there are generally 2 amniotic sacs :).

Hope that makes sense!
Sarah

Lane Bryant

Lane Bryant 120x90